We depend on the generosity of the Ventura County Community for a large portion of our program budgets. Your support ensures we can continue to provide critically needed services for people who are mentally ill, many of whom are homeless, in all areas of the county.
Turning Point Foundation, a non-profit agency serving adults with severe and persistent mental illness has the following job opening at the Our Place Safe Haven program:
Job Title: Counselor I (On-Call)
Status: Regular on-call, non-exempt
Salary: $11.00 per hour
The counselor is responsible for overseeing the safety and well-being of shelter clients and the security of the environment. Must be available to interact with clients on an informal basis, as well as mediate client conflicts, and manage crisis situations. Will observe and chart client behavior. Collect and record statistical data. Assist clients with medication management.
- Interact with clients.
- Maintain awareness of clients’ moods, behaviors, and actions–noting changes in client chart.
- Mediate client disputes as necessary.
- Evaluate and manage crisis situations in a calm and timely fashion; make the determination of when police intervention is appropriate and proceed accordingly after consulting with the case manager or program manager if possible. Make the determination of when intervention from the crisis team is necessary and proceed accordingly after consulting with the program manager or case manager.
- Orient new clients to shelter and issue supplies (linen, soap,etc.) as necessary.
- Assign shelter chores as necessary; assure that clients have completed chores appropriately; teach the client how to complete chore appropriately if they don’t know how to do so; assist clients in completing chores appropriately as necessary.
- Prompt clients to take medication as prescribed by their physician.
- Transport clients to outside meetings as necessary for client safety.
- Participate in staff meetings.
- Other duties as assigned by the program manager.
Licenses and Certificates
California Driver License with driving record acceptable to our insurance carrier.
Intern hours available.
Ability to communicate effectively and solve conflicts in a productive way.
No telephone calls please.
Unpaid internship offered for 10 to 15 hours weekly which includes face-to-face time with clients, staff meetings and group supervision for Addictive Studies, MFT, MSW or Psychologist Interns. Internship positions are available at Our Place Safe Haven, Rehabilitation Programs, Stephenson’s Place, Wooley and River Haven. Our Internship program is a six-month contract between intern and agency.
Interns provide at their level of expertise:
- Individual and group counseling
- Rehabilitation treatment
- Family Therapy and support
- Treatment Planning
- Documentation and notation
- Case Management
- Other duties as assigned
A Marriage Family Therapist provides weekly group supervision. The Clinical Director supervises all Internship Placements.
- Excellent professional skills and boundaries
- Organizational and communication skills
- Ability to develop trusting and effective working relationships with a diverse client population
- Able to work effectively in a team environment.
Contact To Apply:
Kalie Matisek, Clinical Director
805-652-0029 x 26
Location: Ventura, California
Status: Volunteer – 10 to 15hrs/week
Turning Point Foundation, a non-profit agency serving adults with serious and persistent mental illness, has the following position available in Oxnard:
- Case management for adults with severe and persistent mental illness in a psychosocial rehabilitation clubhouse model located in Oxnard.
- MFT Intern hours available
- MA in Social Sciences or
- BA with 2 years experience working with this population in a community setting or
- High School plus 4 years experience working with this population in a community setting
- Case management and counseling experience
- Experience in facilitating group classes
- Community integration activities
- Bilingual English/Spanish a plus
- Problem-solving skills
- Emotionally mature
- Computer skills (MS Word & Excel)
- Experience in working with Caminar software a plus
- Valid California Driver’s License with a driving record acceptable to our insurance carrier
- Verifiable personal automobile insurance and available vehicle
- Full-time – regular non-exempt employment
- Monday thru Friday, 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
- $30,000 to $34,154 DOE
- Benefit Package
- Intern hours available
Contact to Apply:
No telephone calls, please.
Veterans Transitional Housing On-call positions available
Position is responsible for overseeing the health, safety and well being of Veterans Transitional Housing Program residents and the security of the environment. Must be available to interact with clients on a peer counseling basis, as well as mediate client conflicts, and manage crisis situations. Observe and chart client behavior. Collect and record statistical data. Assist clients with medication management.
- Provide individual and group counseling as necessary.
- Assure safety of the environment.
- Maintain awareness of client’s moods, behaviors, and actions-noting changes in client chart.
- Evaluate and manage crisis situations in a calm and timely fashion; make determination of when the crisis team or police intervention is appropriate and proceed accordingly after consulting with case manager or program manager if possible.
- Assist with intake process.
- Orient clients to program.
- Communicate with program staff and participate in staff meetings.
- Prepare documentation, incidents, grievances, and maintenance requests meal logs, mileage logs, phone logs, staff logs, etc.
- Assist residents in developing the living skills in preparation for independent permanent housing.
- Educate clients regarding medication issues-including compliance, side effects, benefits, and how to communicate problems to their physician.
- Transport clients to outside meetings and appointments as required.
- Support community service relationships.
- On call as needed and capable of responding within 30 minutes.
- Additional duties as assigned by program manager.
- A minimum of two years experience providing supportive services to severely and persistently mentally ill adults, preferably within a psychosocial rehabilitation model.
- Must possess knowledge of serious mental illness and the mental health system.
- Strong communication and conflict resolution skills.
- Ability to manage multiple tasks.
- Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedures manuals.
- Veteran preferred.
- Bi-lingual/Bicultural skills highly valued.
- Ability to pass Live Scan background check.
- Flexibility in schedule.
- Basic Life Support certification.
- A valid California Driver’s License with a driving record acceptable to our insurance carrier with an available vehicle.
Hiring for on-call positions
Compensation: $12.50 hr
Intern hours available.
Contact to Apply
E-mail resume email@example.com or
Fax: 805-247-0754 to the attention of Linda Fazzone
No telephone calls, please.