COVID-19 continues to be on our mind — but don’t forget that flu season is here too. Ventura County, Health Care Agency, has free Community Flu Clinics available.
It’s natural to feel concerned and even a little anxious about the news of a surge of COVID-19 cases and the upcoming flu season.
Some concern is normal — even warranted — but constant worry can be harmful to your mental health and wellness. Try to focus on the steps you can take to boost your physical and emotional resilience instead of focusing on what’s out of your control.
Take a minute to take a deep, slow breath through your nose, expanding your belly.
Now pause and hold for a beat. Then exhale slowly through your nose. You will almost certainly feel calmer. If you can, do it outside in the fresh air and sunshine. Vitamin D comes from the sunlight and is great for your immune system.
Here are a few other things that will boost your immune system:
- Connect with nature.
- Take a walk up a hill at the Ventura Botanical Gardens or on the beach.
- Get plenty of rest.
- Keep your room dark and cool.
- Let calming music lull you to sleep.
- Read a book that will fall out of your hands when you doze off.
- Try the Calm app or other apps that will ease your mind.
- If you need to talk, reach out to a friend or call the Wellness Line, 805-653-5045.